When necessary to remove the mammary glands in men?
- Classification and causes of gynecomastia
- main signs of gynecomastia
- diagnosis of gynecomastia
- Surgical treatment of gynecomastia
breast enlargement in men is called gynecomastia.In adolescence, it arises from the different sort of hormonal imbalance.According to statistics, during puberty, this pathology is diagnosed in 1/3 boys.When hormonal crisis passes, breast growth usually stops by itself.
In some cases, the breasts may increase due to the presence of a man of certain diseases.This leads to the fact that the enlarged areola may resemble the female.At the same time sometimes it emits a secret like milk.In this case, you should consult a specialist who can prescribe treatment to restore hormonal balance, and proceed to remove the breast if necessary.
Classification and causes of gynecomastia
There are two main types of gynecomastia:
In the first case, due to the increase in
Physiological is the norm for most men.It can be observed:
- in newborns - in this case the occurrence of disease may be associated with female sex hormones, which have penetrated into the body of the newborn is still in the uterine condition;this type of gynecomastia is observed in 65-85% of boys;
- teenagers - the most frequently observed abnormality in boys aged 12-13 years;experts believe that the main cause of breast enlargement at this age is a late maturing organs that produce androgens;
- in men of advanced age - over the years the production of male sex hormones in the egg is reduced, which leads to disruption of the balance of androgens / estrogens;this causes an increase in mammary glands.
is worth noting that at any age and may be pathological gynecomastia, which is associated with an imbalance of male and female hormones, as well as other reasons, among which is necessary to highlight:
- taking certain medicines;
- hormonal lung tumors, testicular, liver;
- prolonged fasting;
- excessive drinking;
- presence of genetic diseases: true hermaphroditism, androgen insensitivity syndrome Klinefelter et al .;
- cirrhosis of the liver, adrenal disease, renal failure;
- HIV infection.
main signs of gynecomastia
The main feature of this disease is an increase in male breast.In most cases, this pathology duplex (one-way can be observed in 1/3 of the cases).The increase may be more than one side, even if in this process involved both sides of the chest.This pain is usually absent, but there may be discomfort and increased sensitivity in the breast area.
Almost always gynecomastia is not associated with sexual dysfunction, unless it is associated with excessive production of estrogen and decrease the amount of testosterone.In this situation, there may be a reduction or complete absence of libido.
necessary to immediately seek the help of qualified, if a man with an increase in breast malignancies such symptoms are observed:
- unilateral breast enlargement;
- presence of solid and dense formation;
- discoloration of the skin covering the chest;
- increase in axillary lymph nodes;
- change in the shape and size of the testicles;
- change of voice;
- hair loss;
- emotional disorders;
- decreased sexual function.
diagnosis of gynecomastia
Diagnosis breast enlargement in men allows accurate diagnosis, to identify the cause of the pathology, as well as to obtain information that will allow the doctor to make the overall clinical picture.
On examination, the patient's medical officer reveals outward signs of gynecomastia: the size of the seal, morbidity, the presence (absence) isolating secretion from the nipple.Normally during formation palpation doctor finds a diameter of 10 to 100 mm.Thus it can be located on both sides and one.
next diagnostic step performs laboratory research, with which you can identify the ratio of male and female sex hormones. Laboratory tests on hormones can be assigned only to adult men .If the cause of gynecomastia has not been identified, there shall be additional tests: blood test for LH, FSH, etc. Appointed as adrenal computed tomography and ultrasound..
Once found the main cause of the disease, the specialist determines further treatment.If the cause is taking certain medications, your doctor may recommend that the patient go to a different drug.In most cases, gynecomastia eventually passes by itself without any medical intervention.The treatment is only necessary when the abnormality does not pass on their own within a few years, or cause pain.
Surgical treatment of gynecomastia
Today there are two main methods of surgical intervention with an increase in mammary glands in males:
- removal of the breast.
first method is typically used when pseudogynecomastia when the chest has a lot of fatty tissue.First incision 3-4 mm in length, which is inserted into a small tube, and then pumping oil occurs.
Removing breast (mastectomy) is a radical method, the essence of which is that a surgeon with a scalpel removes the breast tissue from the man's chest.
Only a qualified professional can decide to have surgery to remove the breast and after taking into account the possible complications, temporal effects and alternatives.
Despite a serious approach, this operation is not the most difficult.It is performed under general or local anesthesia in a hospital.It is very important that mastectomy to avoid relapses.After surgery, some patients required drainage.Wearing compression bandages - a prerequisite that must be observed.Postoperative scar is practically invisible, so men do not have to be embarrassed when become exposed torso.